It's about time I share Wavely's 3rd Birthday Party, Twinkle Twinkle Little Star. This whole party was actually inspired by my favorite book for my little lady, Take Heart, My Child, by Ainsley Earhardt.
"Before you were born, before you filled my hours, I dreamed a love song, by a moon made of flowers. The stars lit the sky with visions of gold. Laced with wishes for you, and your fate to unfold. May you strive to be happy, change your course if you're not. Embrace the world's colors, colors others forgot. But if you grow lonely, or the stars disappear, take heart my child, I will always be near."
This flower moon just spoke to me and I knew I had to create my own. I wish I had done a step by step photo process of how this was made, but I didn't, so I'll try to wright out some good instructions.
Making the Flower Moon
- Get a large cardboard box and trace a crescent moon shape. I actually used a round card table as my stencil to get the shape just right.
- The back side of this moon is not so pretty, I used hot glue, popsicle sticks and packaging tape to support the box.
- I spray panted the front side dark purple, a good backdrop color for my moon color scheme. So choose your paint color along with whatever your color scheme is.
- Pick out your flowers! I used silk flowers, some cheaper flowers for fillers and more nice expensive silk flowers for the staple pieces to make it look as real as possible. I recommend Hobby Lobby for flowers because their selection is always awesome. I had a wide variety of sizes and types of flowers to create a full look. I would suggest at least 10 different types of flowers, ranging from small "fillers" to large blooms. I only used two 6" blooms, and they made a huge impact. I would also recommend flowers at least 5 colors, to create depth. make sure to have some white or cream to break up the color. I also added a few paper butterflies to our moon.
- Heat up that hot glue gun! I slowly started in the center of the moon, and just worked my way out. Don't think everything has to be strategically placed, just GO! Get an idea of where you want your big blooms placed if that makes you feel better about the plan, place them first, and fill in between.
- Hang it up. I used small tack nails to hang my moon, just to secure it really nicely.
I personally think real greenery and flowers are a must for any party. I just went to my local grocery store and picked out a variety of flowers within the party color scheme along with some babies breath and made small arrangments as well as kept out a handful for the cake.
Let's talk about the cake
I made this cake, I'm no pro, but I do find it really fun. However you can totally just order a pretty cake. If you do make it, I suggest make the cake the day before, and decorate the day of.
I just used a white cake box mix and a mix of fresh blueberries and blackberries. This three tier cake takes a box and a half of cake mix. The key to a fluffy cake is beat it to death! I let my mixer run for 3-5 minutes to get that extra fluffy cake. Use 8 inch pans, make a thin layer of berries at the bottom of the pan and add cake batter, bake as box instructs. Allow cake to cool on a cooling rack for about 10 minutes, then place in freezer for about an hour. I then take out the frozen cakes and wrap in saran wrap, and place back into the freezer until ready to compile cake.
I make my own butter cream frosting the day of. Here is a super easy recipe.
Get the cakes out of freezer and shape, I use a serrated knife to cut the top off the cake to get smooth layers. Place first cake berry side up and add a thick layer of frosting. Add second layer and repeat. Add final layer, berry side up and apply a thin layer of frosting over the entire cake. It doesn't have to look perfect, and it is pretty if the cake underneath is showing through. Apply flowers, extra berries, candles and BOOM!
I had a full sandwich bar for the adults, it wasn't pretty, so I took no pictures (LOL) but for the kids we had star shaped peanut butter and jelly. Just make the sandwiches and use a metal star shaped cookie cutter to cut them out. Simple, delicious and pretty.
Invitations and Signage
Invited By Audriana is always my go to for custom invitations and signs. She does great work!
I had to have these dresses by EleStroy for Waverly and I. They don't have these exact dresses anymore, but they other beautiful options if your looking for that special occasion dress.
Felt Flower Garland
I had actually gotten this garland for Waverly's 2nd Birthday party and have it hanging in her room, but it matched so nicely, I decided it needed featured again. This garland was made by The Grey Rose; however, I'm not sure her shop is still open. If you need other great felt shops, I also love The Little Felt Shoppe, and Yaya's Joyful Creations.
I just rounded up 7 mylar star balloons at a local party store, ask if they have the star ribbon, it adds so much! Our's didn't unfortunately, so I did a little make shift with a wire star garland; however it totally weighed down the balloons and was hindsight an unnecessary hassle.
Happy Party planning! If you loved this post, please share it on Pinterest!